Bethlehem

WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING...
Since June 20th, I have been living in Bethlehem and volunteering for the "Bright Stars" Summer Academy, a branch of the International Center of Bethlehem (ICB). The ICB organization provides the local Palestinians, living in Bethlehem & surrounding refugee camps, with a wide array of educational resources and cultural activities throughout the year.


THE ICB's DAR AL-NAADWA BUILDING & BETHLEHEM STREETS:














A DAY IN THE LIFE OF SJ...

I am teaching art courses to Palestinian children at the "Bright Stars" Summer Camp. I am one of 4 international volunteers here. The other volunteers are Ina (20, Germany), Johannes (20, Germany), and Jonathan (31, USA).

HOW I WAKE UP EVERY MORNING





I love what I am doing here & so it is easy to get out of bed every morning (especially when my bed is as big as it is). *I will add more photos of my beautiful flat later on.


ON OUR WAY TO SCHOOL: INA & JOHANNES IN TAXI
Each morning we take a taxi to the school for 2 Shekels (approx. $0.50)

ARRIVAL @ DAR AL-KALIMA SCHOOL: INA & STUDENTS OUTSIDE
Each morning I am greeted by this beautiful mural painted at the front of the school. The above photo is of Ina, my roommate & best buddy here.
The pic above is Ina & the older girls who attend the camp.

INSIDE THE SCHOOL: COLORFUL HALLWAYS
This photo is of the inside of the school building. Donations from around the world (majority being Lutheran Churches) were the main source of funding for the school. The children attending the summer camp are funded by international sponsors who pay for them to go to camp and school when summer ends.

INSIDE THE SCHOOL: POINTILISM LESSON
This photo is of one of my classes working on a "Pointilism" project, where we learned about George Seuratt & Paris, France and used q-tips instead of paintbrushes for creating a pointilism technique.


MY FAVORITE CLASS:
OUR ART STUDIO ON THE FLOOR
Its odd, but my best class is held in a classroom with no desks or chairs, so we must work on the floor (but the kids are so focused that it doesn't even bother them). And it certainly doesn't bother me because I enjoy the "group-feeling" of working with the kids on the floor.



INSIDE THE SCHOOL:
MATISSE LESSON
The above photos are from a lesson I taught about the artist Matisse. My goal is to teach the students about one artist & place around the world each class period. To see some of the art lessons I've planned with the kids, go here>> Camp Art Schedule.



MY STUDENTS @ SCHOOL:


These are pics of some of the children in my art classes (ranging from 6-12 year olds). I work with a translator in my classes. The kids are brilliant, excited & happy to have me as their teacher. Everyone at the camp (both staff & students) appreciate having volunteers from abroad come to Palestine to see how they live here & help out where needed.

3 comments:

fu man chuck said...

best art teacher ever! and I hear a pretty darn good mermaid queen of the oc too.

Unknown said...

mary jayne you look so vibrant and beautiful! you are such a lucky girl, i hope you are connecting back with yourself and being a free spirit.

Big Daddy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.